November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving Rules for My Mother

A lot of you reading this blog might think it's strange that its #1 fan is none other than...my mother. Yes, I admit it's a little strange to have her reading the details of my sex dating life, but we have a close relationship (and I would probably tell her most of this stuff whether she wanted to hear it or not).

When I accidentally invited Ron Swanson to Thanksgiving Dinner wayyyy too soon in our courtship, I told my mom the news. I'm sure she was more than thrilled -- typical Jewish mother behavior.

Before "the big day," I gave her THREE important rules for meeting Ron Swanson:

  1. Under NO circumstances may you refer to him/introduce him as my boyfriend. He's not my boyfriend. He's not my friend. He has no label. His name is "Ron Swanson."
  2. No awkward posed photos. Mom, can we both agree you kind of broke that one??
  3. No references to my blog. I'd already told him about it, but there's just no need to make things more awkward. Imagine walking into a room full of people who already know allllllll about you...
As I went through the rules with my mom, she laughed as she remembered a very similar conversation we had when she planned to chaperone my 5th grade dance. She said I gave her an index card with very similar restrictions. Little did I know, it's been sitting in her nightstand for the last 17 years...

I was nervous as I sat in the car before heading into my mom's house with my newest suitor. But I was reassured by the calm of Ron Swanson. The night went off without a hitch, and I think he passed the family test. And more importantly, my family behaved themselves. And he still wanted to continue hanging out after we left!

I'm thankful for how pleasant it all turned out. And I'm also thankful for my mother. Moms are the best. xoxo




8 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad to hear it went so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your sister once told me" Being a mom is the hardest job I have ever had". But it is the MOST rewarding! Love you to the moon and back xox Merfmom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it went well! Can't wait to meet Ronny
    PiƱata

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I LOVE the burgers on everyone's faces! ;P
    (:

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...